Thursday, July 12, 2007

Holding on with both hands

Had a very productive individual session just now, and found some clarity on the work I have in store for this core that i'm finding again.

Challenge - how to hold on to two places at once... Like being in my anxiety about work and the conference next weekend, but still being present with IH and myself and friends and such. How to keep that connection, instead of just "forgetting" about the anxiety when i'm not at work, or forgetting about myself and others when I am.

Cheryl made a very interesting observation after we were talking about how I lose myself when i'm with others that I have a connection with. Her comment was that it may seem like I don't care about other people, friends, family, and the like, but it's really that I really want a connection with people in my life, and when I get it, I lose myself. And that scares me, and is overwhelming - to lose myself.

The work to be done is so simple - hold on to more than one place at a time within myself. Hold onto myself and others when i'm with friends and family. The work is simple, and requires nothing less than everything to do it.

4 comments:

Michael McAvoy said...

This is a nice blog, though I'm sorry to read some many things you've had to go through over the past 10 years. I was just googling you, james, and kurt yesterday out of the blue to see whatever went on with you guys.

Opie Dog, writing for Mike, your old VT roommate.
(mmcavoy01 at columubs dot rr dot com)

krys said...

well, hello there! long time, as it were... fill us in on the details of what you've been up to!

Michael McAvoy said...

Let's see. I bounced around the US with different mining companies for about 6 years, running underground and surface operations. But I got tired of living in the middle of nowhere, and I wasn't getting much engineering design experience. So I took a job with an engineering firm outside of Brighton, MI where I met Deborah, and we've been married for 4-years now. She's also a civil engineer, though she went back to school to get her PhD. Now we just moved to Athens, Ohio where she's a new professor at the Civil Engineering Department of Ohio University (think Blacksburg with the hills, but brick buildings instead of Hokey Stone). I've been doing a lot of design, and I'm a PE in 5 states. I took a job with a small rural engineering firm, where I get to be the #2 guy and run my own show, which is pretty cool. Let's see... we're avid hockey fans and have been season ticket holders for the Detroit Red Wings. I'm starting rec ice hockey this fall with some other faculty and staff at Ohio, too. That's the 20-second summary!

Michael McAvoy said...

Whooops. Typo on the email address.... Try "columbus" instead of "columubs". I don't know what columubs are, but they can't be healthy!