Wednesday, September 21, 2005

9/20 Dream - Trying something different

Part I - The Encounter

I'm in a resturant with A., and one of her male co-workers shows up and joins us. Even though there is nothing outwardly obvious about them, I suddenly know that they have been having an affair. I demand that the guy leave, which he does. Then I excuse myself, and make my way rapidly to a friends place, because I know I need to talk this out with someone.

Part II - The Journey

My friend's place is on the 17th floor of an apartment/condo building. I get on the elevator with a bunch of other people, and we all select the floor we're looking for. Mine is the first one, so up we go. The elevator is shooting up _really_ fast, almost too fast for me. The walls are all glass, so I can see how fast and how high we are going. I alternately close and open my eyes and hope for the ride to end quickly. Finally we get to my floor, and I get off.

Part III - The Friend

I'm in an open patio/atrium. There are apartments on both sides of the atrium. There is a party going on here, and it's obvious that this is the high rent district. There are ornate decorations and plantings, sculptures and fountains. I finally find my friend's apartment at the end of the atrium, behind a bank of sculptures and fountains. I ring the bell and his wife answers the door and invites me in. They have a new bathtub in the foyer that they're waiting to have installed, and my friend's wife makes a big show of showing it off to me. We go into the apartment, and despite knowing that this is the high rent district, I know that my friend's place is more "normal" than the other high rollers. We talk and I wake up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good description of the timeline - but really nothing that indicates how you or anyone else was feeling at the time.

So - what I got from reading this is a sense of indirectness. The elevator moving too fast is probably the closest you get to emotion. Sounds like you were feeling uncomfortable and out of control.

Its interesting that you avoided interacting with A. about this - and went to find a third person. And - that you never discussed your issue - got sidetracked by their issues.

How did you feel when you were writing this? What did you want to convey?