Friday, September 30, 2005

South Dakota, here I come!

I'm finally getting excited about my long awaited road trip. I'm heading out to South Dakota to visit Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, the Badlands, a decomissioned Minute Man missle silo that is now a national park, Jewel and Wind caves, and of course, Wall Drug. I'll be staying at a variety of KOAs (Kamp Ground of America). Here are the technical details:

Saturday, October 1
Finish one final thing for work and leave Arlington as early as bloody possible. Drive 582 miles to Indianapolis in 11 hours. Check in to the Indianapolis KOA where I'll be admiring their "long, level pull through, and beautiful shade trees."
Contact phone - 800-562-0531

Sunday, October 2
Leave Indianapolis, drive 640 miles to the Albert Lea/Austin KOA which is midway between Minneapolis and Des Moines. This should take about 10.5 hours. If it's still light out, I might take a swing at the driving range.
Contact phone - 800-562-5196

Monday, October 3
Stop by the Spam Museum in nearby Austin. Get my fill and head out to my final destination, the Badlands/White River KOA in southwest South Dakota. Only 455 miles and 7.5 hours today.
Contact phone - 800-562-3897

Tuesday, October 4 - Friday, October 7
Make the rounds of Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, Crazy Horse, Jewel and Wind caves, the Minute Man Missle Silo, and Wall Drug.
Contact phone - 800-562-3897

Saturday, October 8
Say fairwell to South Dakota and head south east to the Kansas City East KOA. 667 miles and 11 hours. If there's time, stop in at Harry Truman's house. I'm sure he's expecting guests.
Contact phone - 800-562-7507

Sunday, October 9
Drive east, passing through St. Louis. Stop and take pictures. If I'm feeling ambitious, take a trip up the arch. Continue east to the Cincinnati South KOA. 567 miles, 10.5 hours
Contact phone - 800-562-9151

Monday, October 10
553 miles and 10 hours to home. Ready to be there, not making any stops, head straight on till morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did it go? we want details!

Nic said...

Yeah are you like, busy back at work or something? :)