Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Join the Marines - in your dreams!

I told my counselor - we'll call her CH - about this blog, and she
made a comment about "grading" my entries, especially dreams. I
thought that would be funny, but now it's a challenge. I demand a
gold star! On the topic of dreams, however, I think I'll start adding
them to this running stream of consciousness as well.

My dreams, historically, have been vivid, meaningful, and exciting.
The more I pay attention to them, the more I get out of them.
However, the last 2 - 3 weeks have been a dry spell, or just jumbled,
garbled dreams. I suppose this falls in line my general frame of mind
as well - pretty much in a fog. However, the last two nights have
seen a re-emergence of dreamland.

Two nights ago - I find myself wandering around what appears to be a
college campus. I stop at a basketball court to play ball, play a
little tennis, etc. Then I finally make it to class, and walk in
late. As I go to sit down, the professor hands me an envelope with my
attendance records. I have two absences - the first is excused, for
freshman orientation, but the second is unexcused. And now I'm 15
minutes late. The professor had been in the middle of reaming out the
class for not showing up on a regular basis, and now I'm included with
the rest of the group. He says that we just need to show up with no
more than one absence over the semester if we are to have any chance
at passing this AP, Naval Academy course.

Then, last night - I'm in a gymnasium with a bunch of other guys, and
we're all enlisting with the Marines. I'm second in line with my
group, behind one guy who it not entirely going with the flow. I find
myself conforming to the group, standing in line, at attention, etc.,
but all the while I'm thinking, "what am I doing here? I'm not a
Marine", and finding myself conforming externally, but not being
"broken" internally. The guy in front of me is a bit of a clown, but
is also clearly the group leader, as he's at the front of the line,
and is essentially leading us in what we're supposed to be doing.

I'll give my impressions of the meanings of the dreams in the comments
sections. Also, the dream details are not great because I waited too
long to get it all down. More to come.

1 comment:

krys said...

Ok, so here are my thoughts about these dreams:

- water signifies emotions for me - something that in the past has been overwhelming and uncontrolable.

- I've come to know my alter ego, named "Pierce", in previous dreams. He signifies my maverick personality.

In dream 1, I think it's significant that the theme is "showing up", with the additional note that there's no way I'll be able to complete the task (pass the course) if I don't show up. It's also good to note the significance of this being a naval academy course - the navy being associated with the ocean, emotions, blah blah blah :)

Dream 2 - again with the military! not sure of the significance of that - a question for CH. But, in this dream, I believe that the guy standing infront of me is Pierce, which is very exciting because I haven't run back into him in quite a while. I think this dream is mirroring where I am right now - I'm pretty much standing still through the entire dream, but my mind is pretty active. Pierce is moving around though - in fact, he can't stand still, which dosen't really fit with the entire "Stand at attention!" command.